Monday, January 11, 2010

Pink and Blue Boxes




This area turned out to be a lot of fun.  I really enjoy using creative stitches that give texture to pieces.  The trick for this area was finding a stitch that would work for each of the squares.  I first counted the number of horizontal threads and discovered that the top row was taller than the bottom row.  However, if the solid blue row at the bottom was eliminated, the two rows of boxes could be the same height of 12 threads.  I then counted the number of vertical threads and discovered that each box was a different width!  However, if the boxes were made 8 threads wide, then they could be evenly distributed.  So...the box would be 8 threads wide by 12 threads high.

I had already chosen the threads: Splendor with a Frosty Rays accent.  Now what stitch should be used?
Out came the graph paper.


I started with the original concept of some type of diamond shape and a accent fill stitch.  Then came adding an accent thread.  However, since the Frosty Rays puffs out,  there would not be enough room to continue with some Splendor.  Version #3 allowed for more space and a better scale, but not enough room to do the accent area.  Therefore, the final charted area shows the simplified upright cross stitch in the center.


The pink threads were Splendor S845 in 4-ply with the Frosty Rays Y360 accent.  The blue threads were Splendor S870 and Frosty Rays Y047.


1 comment:

  1. Clever! These pink and blue boxes look like shiny ceramic tiles to me. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete