
After completing the small purple dome building, the large one appeared a little easier to tackle. I started with the vertical stripe area. While examining the stripes, the purple stripe to the left of the candle minaret seemed out of place and lacked continuity of the building. So I took artistic license and changed the purple to yellow and the aqua to yellow.The horizontal stripes were the next area and they required some counting and compensation. There were 12 threads to the right of the candle minaret, so a stitch that was 2x6 would be a good size. I wanted it to look a little bumpy like detailed trim on a building. An oblong Smyrna cross stitch would be a good fit. The shape was perfect for the right side, but the left needed some compensation. The stitch was worked from right to left as shown in this diagram:

On the far left , the stitch would be cut off, so a partial stitch was done. Only the areas that would be visible were stitched. When the second row was started, I had it line up directly underneath the first row so they would look like blocks.
The last area to be stitched was the roof. I chose a criss cross Hungarian using a 4-ply Splendor and a 3-ply Gumnuts as the accent thread. The Gumnuts is heavier than the Splendor, so fewer ply are needed. I started stitching on the right side so I could get a feel for the pattern.
The tricky part was when I went to the left side of the roof, the minaret was in the way and was affecting the count. Out came the paper and pencil and I had to actually draw the compensation. The solid lines indicate the location of the minaret tower.


Now we can move the stretcher bar rollers and begin to stitch the large building in the lower right, the Purple/Yellow Stone Building.

I certainly feel for you, struggling with compensation and figuring out where an interrupted stitch goes! But it looks great and worth all the hassles.
ReplyDeleteCould you post a photo of the original design somewhere in the right column so we readers can easily see the exact area you are working on? If you need help figuring out how to do that, I can give you help. Just email me at chillyhollow at hot mail dotcom
Thanks!
Thanks for the photo post suggestion. I always enjoy reading your posts on ANG and your blog.
ReplyDeleteTallit is very important mizvah!
ReplyDeleteI am pleased you like Blog! I certainly am enjoying watching your tallit grow.
ReplyDelete